Sunday, October 4, 2009

Electric Cars: More Efficient Than You Think!

Yesterday a convincing argument against electric cars was made. I'd like to provide a simple counter argument based off of a study performed by Tesla Motors.

First off, the math performed by Professor Salmeen can easily be refuted by the Tesla Motors study. In the Tesla Motors study, electric cars are presented as far more efficient than gasoline cars. While Professor Salmeen's argument centers around mathematic estimates (as implied by his title), Tesla Motors provides concrete data from actual cars.

Also, the environmental benefits of electric cars were overlooked. We know the environmental detriments gasoline cars have on our society. Although it may be currently unclear whether electric cars are more efficient than gasoline cars, the fact remains that the end user can ultimately choose which type of electricity source to use to power their car. Imagine, powering your car with solar or wind energy!

Lastly, increased use of electric cars may change the composition of energy markets, but will energy prices really increase? Electric cars are becoming more efficient with new technologies. People are harnessing unused forms of energy (wind and solar). Taking these concepts into account one could argue that electric cars could lower energy prices in the future.

Although some of my points are based off of Tesla Motors, an electric car company, they present concrete numbers from concrete studies based on actual cars. I'm confident that with the increased popularity in electric cars, we will discover the answer to whether electric or gasoline cars are the way to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of hombre who loves to seek new things. Presently I'm making my personal solar panels. I'm doing it all alone without the aid of my staff. I am utilizing the net as the only path to acheive this. I saw a really brilliant site that explains how to contruct solar panels and so on. The website explains all the steps involved in pv panel building.

I'm not exactly sure bout how accurate the information given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the site it will be awesome and I'd really treasure it, because I extremely would love to try [URL=http://apennootje.blogwogin.com/2009/11/10/solar-panel-construction-at-home]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U people rock.